Now taking orders for January's colorway, Pretty Rickey! Or sign up for two months of yarn!

What are you knitting?

June 11, 2013

I'm one of those people who always has multiple projects on the needles because one of two things always happens:

  1. I get bored and/or frustrated and have to start something new to keep myself from lighting the project on fire.
  2. Some shiny new pattern or technique catches my fancy and I just HAVE TO MAKE IT RIGHT NOW OMG!!
Right now I have three four things going:

Slytherin socks!
started: July 2011



These are knee-high sports socks in the colors of House Slytherin.  In the picture you can see the other pair I made in Gryffindor colors... which took me over 6 years to complete.  Granted I was working on those very sporadically, but it looks like the second pair is right on track to take at least that long.

The pattern was originally a paid pattern available from atypically.knit, but that website has been down for a few years now.  You can still find the pattern in the Charmed Knits book, along with several more awesome Harry Potter knits.  The book has gone out of print but there are still a few dozen used copies floating around Amazon.

I'm using Brown Sheep Nature Spun fingering in Enchanted Forest and Silver Sage.  Someday, perhaps, I will make matching scarves for both of these pairs of socks, since Nature Spun has those same colors available in worsted weight.  Someday...

Slipstream Socks!
started: March 2013



I looked around forever trying to find the right pattern to use with this yarn - KnitPicks Imagination in Giant Peach, a color that has since been discontinued.  I must have frogged a dozen different patterns because they just didn't look right with the colorway.  Then finally, in the latest issue of Knitty, these socks appeared.  I'm just about to reach the heel turn on the first sock and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.  The pattern is fairly complex, with 3 different charts for each size of either foot, but it's easy to follow so far and I'm learning how to do 2-stitch-wide cables without using a cable needle... which is kind of like sorcery.

Bergen Street Cardigan
started: November 2011



I started this sweater to keep me sane during the worst class I've ever had to take - a once-a-week, 4-hour lecture on art, power, and sexuality in Renaissance Italy.  Knitting was the only thing that kept me from falling asleep.  The last thing I need to make is the button band, which I don't think I've touched in about 6 months. I'm actually kind of scared to finish this sweater, since I've gained a bit of weight since I started working on it and now I'm scared that after all this work, it won't fit me :(

Knit in KnitPicks Swish DK in Marine Heather and Cobblestone Heather. Pattern is from KnitPicks, too. I have a few extra balls of each so - when I do eventually someday finish the sweater - I plan on adding pockets and a hood, because a girl has needs.

Biker Boy
started: I don't even remember anymore.



I started knitting this many years ago as a Christmas present for my brother. It was my first attempt at a sweater and I had no idea how much work was ahead of me - my brother is a very large man.  This project has been living in a box in my yarn closet (or shelf or drawer, depending on where I was living at the time) and I really don't know if I'll ever finish it. I think I've even lost the grey that I used on that bottom edge. All I've gotten done is a few inches on the back panel. Odds are good my brother has forgotten I ever promised him this sweater, but I can feel it sometimes, watching me... waiting... wanting to be whole...

Pattern is from Debbie Stoller's Son of Stitch and Bitch and is being knit in KnitPicks WotA Worsted in Coal and a mystery gray, possibly Dove Heather.

So, what little UFOs (unfinished objects) do you have cluttering up your life?

Also, a reminder that there are still 15 slots left for the July Cosmopolitan mailing. Use the PayPal button at the top of the page to subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment