Now taking orders for January's colorway, Pretty Rickey! Or sign up for two months of yarn!

Spinning resources?

July 16, 2013

Next week I'm going to be down in San Francisco visiting my family, which will be awesome, and I'll finally be able to bring my spinning wheel back up with me, which will also be awesome.  I had to leave it in the custody of my parents when we moved up to PDX because there was simply no room for something so delicate in the Uhaul by the time we were done.  It was either leave the spinning wheel or carry it on my lap for 12 hours and, well, comfort won out.

It's an older spinning wheel that I inherited from my grandmother when she passed away.  Based on its design and some of the books I found with it, it's an Ashford from the '50s or so.



It's not in the best shape - the drive band is missing and most of the metal parts are pretty rusted.  I cleaned it up with some wood restorer so it's not as dry now, but I need to spend some quality time removing rust and maybe even replacing some of the pieces before it's really usable.  (And, obviously, gotta get a drive band.)

So, dear readers, I'm asking for some advice.  Does anyone out there have experience restoring vintage spinning wheels, or perhaps you could point me in the right direction? I'm terrified I'm going to break it or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment