Now taking orders for January's colorway, Pretty Rickey! Or sign up for two months of yarn!

Thinking about the future of Tipsy Sheep.

August 5, 2013

Pull up a chair, dear reader. I want to talk to you.

We're halfway through the original 4-month plan of Tipsy Sheep, and I'm starting to think about where to go from here.  I have a lot of yarn left from each of the first two dye runs, enough to start an Etsy shop or even approach a LYS to try and get on the shelf (anyone in Portland work for a yarn store??).

I'm also toying with the idea of starting another subscription yarn club for 4-6 months to help build up the line and get the name out there.  Perhaps even branch out into other weights of yarn. Thing is... well, as I mentioned, there's a lot of yarn left.  Like, more than half.  Like, I haven't sold enough to break even and have been consistently losing money on this venture.  I didn't really start this project intending to become a millionaire, but I'd hoped to at least get back the costs of the yarn and dye for each run, which hasn't happened.  As much as I love dyeing yarn, I don't know how I can continue doing it if I can't sell enough to cover costs.

So I'm asking for help.  Please. Spread the word. Post links on Facebook and Craftster and Twitter and Pinterest and whatever other social media you can think of. If you have a blog, maybe give a shout-out - I could even send you a mini-skein of yarn to do a review on. If you sell yarn or other crafts, please teach me your secrets.

I hate to sound like I'm begging, but I kind of am.  Hubby and I want to move back to San Francisco in a few years, and it's one of the most expensive areas of the city. We're relying solely on his income and whatever I make through making and selling art, including yarn.  If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to get a 9-5 job. Oh glob, please, don't make me work in an office and wear pantyhose and sensible shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment